Friday, January 8, 2016

One week down! Hello to week 2 of No Spend Month

OK if you read my last post, I had set some goals for my first week of no spend month. I was like 99% successful. First, I unsubscribed from all store emails. Now not only am I not tempted but I'm not wasting my day clearing out my inbox. Secondly, I dropped off my daughter's higher end clothing along with some maternity items at a consignment shop and they were all accepted so I'm looking forward to seeing them sell! Finally, I did make iced coffee at home.

I did have one slip up. On the day I was food shopping and heading to the consignment store I had a major caffeine headache. I'm pregnant and I barely slept the night before, I was up like 15 times. I stopped by Starbucks to use my gift card and grab a coffee but the app wouldn't load. I was out about $3 that I wouldn't have otherwise spent this month. Good note for the future to make sure when using apps that they load properly if you plan to use them for payment. Not a huge set back, but lesson learned.

Bonus items that happened in week 1....



I got some things for free! As an Amazon prime member I was able to download my pick of 1 of the 6 books they offer for free to my kindle. That's a nice bonus as I'm saving up some novels to read while on maternity leave and our kid free vacation this summer. Also, since the Eagles won on Sunday night, Dunking Donuts offers free coffee on Monday mornings via a coupon in their app. Yay for free coffee! When I logged into the app I saw I actually had earned a free coffee coupon just for using the app so I will save that for next week. Then I started looking into how to get other things for free and my sister told me about Amazon Reviewer (https://www.amzreviewtrader.com/) where you can get things cheap, and there are some totally free, in exchange for your honest reviews! I was approved for a reviewer for a free baby hat but I would have had to pay shipping so I ended up passing. Still worth checking out if you have the time.


So now for week 2. It's easier to not shop online as much, I'm busy at work with everyone back from the holidays and I have been spending more time after work on meal prep since hubby decided he was no longer eating carbs. I shopped last week at Sam's club so I could buy in bulk. We are obviously allowing food purchases, but less frequent trips to the grocery store remove a lot of temptations and I don't plan to make another run out again this week. Mostly because it always turns into this:


Week 2 goals:

1) No food shopping, eat from the pantry and freezer. We received Omaha Steaks as a gift so this helped fill up the freezer with some yummy options.

2) Start to bring all the baby items from the attic out so we can start washing/cleaning all the gear and make an inventory of what we truly need to purchase for baby #2 in February. I can't tell you how many times I rebought something I *knew* I had somewhere and was too lazy to go find it or pull it out of the attic.

3) Inventory all baby clothing. We were "team green" last pregnancy so a lot of our 0-3m onsies and sleepers are gender neutral. I'm certain we have enough to hold us over for 3 months. After that baby #2 is being born in the opposite season of our daughter anyway, but I shouldn't have to purchase any baby clothing until it's warm out. Honestly, I'm looking forward to shopping for summer clothing while on maternity leave, it will give me something to do, so I'm trying to not "buy ahead" even if it's adorable and on super sale like I did for my daughter. I'm actually hoping to use my credits from the clothes I consigned to score some like new items and not have to pay anything out of pocket!



No comments:

Post a Comment