Thursday, January 14, 2016

Clothing Selling App Reviews


I purged all the closets this past weekend leaving me with a pretty hefty pile of women's, men's and toddler clothing. After sorting out what to donate, I was left with this:



I started looking online, I have sold kids clothing on Facebook groups before but I was looking at a way to mass list items. I decided on 3 apps: Poshmark (women's only), Kidizen (kid's only) and Totspot (all).

Poshmark: I've used this in the past and my general feeling is that people want a deal. Be prepared to receive and accept offers. I really don't mind as my general view is I'm getting money I didn't have for clothes I'm not wearing, so I'm happy to negotiate. You also need to spend a fair amount of time sharing items to help "bump" them into the feed for people to see. This also helps you gain followers. It's pretty simply, the more followers you have the more shares you are likely to get and the more people see your items. For a seller, it's easy to list items and ship as once a purchase is made you receive a prepaid mail slip. Simply print, package up your items and they are out the door. It's easy to transfer the money you received out of the app into your paypal account.

Kidizen: This is a children's clothing only app. It's easy to list items and search. When you join you will receive an email to join a Facebook group called "Hello Kidizen." I found this helpful, the community is great and they help and share ideas on how to get items sold. I learned from this group that commenting on items is what bumps the items into the main feed. I've spent a good amount of time commenting on items from other closets and hope they comment back on mine. Most people did reciprocate. This helped me gain followers and in one week I sold 6 items. As a buyer using this app, you know exactly what the final price of an item will be as it includes shipping. Selling on this app is a little different, as you are responsible to ship the item and pay the shipping out of pocket. You need to keep this in mind when listing the price of your items. Most kids clothing run me about $2.50 shipped via paypal so that is what I add on average. Make sure you have a paypal account set up, that is how you will receive the payment for your items and how you will generate your shipping labels. The great thing about this app is you are paid immediately and do not have your funds help until the item is delivered. To ship, you will also need a scale at home so you know the weight of your package. I'm not 100% certain but I believe that only iPhone users have the option to ship on their own, Android users are able to select the ability to receive prepaid labels or ship on their own. If you want to switch they way you manage this, the woman who runs the Facebook group can assist you.

In terms of what you can list here, well you can list anything, but what really sells...higher end brands do well. Matilda Jane, Gap, Hanna Anderson, Mini Boden, high end shoes, are all sought after. For lower end brands I suggest bundling them all into one listing "4 pairs of Carter's shorts" because the shipping fees often are too high to justify the lower prices of these items. I personally drop those brands at my local Once Upon a Child to get cash quick, however minimal it may be since shipping isn't really worth it.

Totspot: I have used this in the past and it's easy to list items. The main change is that you can now list women's and men's clothing as well. I've found the main users are looking for kid's clothing and the adult items don't really sell. Be prepared to list them cheaply. All the apps allow for a "bundle" feature, and you can even indicate a discount such as a certain percentage off a number of items bought at one time. Totspot users really like to bundle. It helps to have a lot of items listed in your closet to generate sales. The shipping feature is the opposite of Kidizen, Totspot is like Poshmark in that they provide the seller with a prepaid shipping label. The user will know what the item costs and will receive an alert that shipping is either $3.99 or $6.99 depending on weight. This adds on to the final price. For this reason you may see the same item listed at a lower price if a user has a closet on both Totspot and Kidizen (this is the case with my items). This is the best kids app option if you don't have a scale at home to ship on your own. Money transfers easily to your bank account.

For brands, people love to bundle here and since shipping is a set amount, you can sell lower end brands such as Carters, Cherokee, etc. If you list a shirt for $2, it likely won't sell on it's own with the $3.99 shipping fee, but if you have a bunch of separate listings of low priced items, they can be bundled.
 
In the end I sold 10 items in 5 days and made a profit of $76 after my shipping fees. Not too bad!
 
Breakdown was 5 women's items on Poshmark, 1 kids item on Totspot, and 7 items on Kidizen. Men's items were only allowed on Totspot and there's been no action there on my adult items so I'll be taking them to Goodwill the end of this week.

Follow me on these apps:

Totspot: @januebanana
Use code FGDVAJ to get a $5 credit on your first purchase!

Poshmark: @amyjudith
Use code JGEGC to get a $10 credit when you download the app!

Kidizen: @janiebanana
Use code gac6u to be entered into a giveaway when you sign up!

If you have any tips you wish to share about selling in any of these apps please leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment