Sunday, January 17, 2016

Last week of no spend month!

Ok I've survived so far! Week 3 went well.

 In terms of clearing out, I sold women's clothes to a local shop for $68 and also earned $33 in credits for the kids items I had on consignment. I also dropped off books at a used book store and scored some credit there. 

Now that I've sold a lot of clothing I really took inventory of what we need and a better amount to keep on hand. I got rid of things I liked but struggled to make outfits out of. Same for my daughters clothes, some things fit her but she refuses to wear so I put it in the sell pile. It's probably time to start letting her go shopping with me and picking out her likes so I can avoid this next season. I didn't get around to using an app to inventory items this week like I planned in my last post but it's still on my to do list.

No spend month made me really have to evaluate all my wants and it turns out I can survive without a lot of impulse items. I managed not to buy a French press even though it would be better to make more than one cup of coffee at a time (we only have a keurig) and we lived the past 3 weeks just fine. But I'm still eyeing these on amazon:

French Press

 I've also been better about meal planning and shopping the sales at the grocery store. I relied on the slow cooker a lot more as well and the family was happy with all the meals. Last week, chicken, steak and potatoes were all BOGO free so I stocked up as those all are ingredients that make good slow cooker recipes. If you are an amazon prime member, I suggest you look into subscribe and save items, I did really well stacking up on some easy sides. One of our favorites is Near East Couscous (takes 5 minutes to cook and even my picky toddler is a fan) and I scored a box of 12 for around $7 using the S&S 15% discount and additional coupons offered by amazon.

Neat East Couscous

I'm not going to pretend that this month wasn't tough...and there are 5 weeks in January making it drag on for another week! The blizzard dumped on us helped curb spending since we were home bound all this weekend.

 My daughter kept me so busy being stuck inside I didn't even online shop. And let me tell you, Gap had 40% off, plus 18% back in ebates (check it out  http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=qD%2FUPm%2FKQ1CTbopaGq8hnQ%3D%3D&eeid=29773and you earned $25 gap cash for every $50 spent! Do you know how hard it was to buy nothing?? On top of it I have $90 in reward money from their credit card so it would have been easy to justify it was free. I have a lot more will power now then when the month began! Baby steps! 

Have you ever passed up a really good deal and felt proud of yourself after the fact? Share your stories in the comments below!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment